Whether anxiety is a problem all depends on the amount and nature of the anxiety.
When it is has a consistent and negative impact on quality of life, it is a disorder.
- 10 Signs Of Anxiety Everyone Should Know
Types of anxiety
There are various different types of anxiety disorder, including:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Social anxiety disorder (SAD)
- Specific phobias
Causes of anxiety
There are a large range of factors that could influence whether you experience anxiety as a mental health problem.
- Anxious personality. Some people are genetically prone to anxiety.
- Childhood experiences. Bullying, hostile parents or other frightening experiences during childhood.
- Long-term health problems like chronic pain are linked to anxiety.
- Everyday habits such as working long hours, financial or housing problems and stress can cause anxiety.
Psychological therapies are very effective for anxiety disorders.
Dr Jeremy Dean’s book “The Anxiety Plan” is based on the principles of CBT and provides 42 strategies for dealing with anxiety.
Other ways of managing anxiety yourself include:
- Support groups.
- Eating healthily.
- Complementary therapies like yoga, meditation and deep breathing.
- Various mind-body approaches.
Along with psychological therapies, people are often prescribed medications.
Popular anxiety articles
- Anxiety: 10 New Psychology Studies You Should Know
- How to Deal With Stress and Anxiety: 10 Proven Psychological Techniques