Biological age can be reduced by more than 3 years in just 8 weeks using specific diet and lifestyle interventions, a clinical trial reveals.
DNA methylation age (DNAmAge) was reversed when a group of healthy men aged from 50 to 72 followed a treatment program (below) consisting of diet, sleep, exercise, relaxation, and phytonutrients and probiotic supplements.
The program was designed to target the methylation system of the body and help balance DNA methylation.
Chronic diseases are mostly products of aging, but improving diet and lifestyle can greatly reduce biological age, resulting in a better and longer life.
Dr Kara Fitzgerald, the study’s first author, said:
“The combined intervention program was designed to target a specific biological mechanism called DNA methylation, and in particular the DNA methylation patterns that have been identified as highly predictive of biological age.
We suspect that this focus was the reason for its remarkable impact.
These early results appear to be consistent with, and greatly extend, the very few existing studies that have so far examined the potential for biological age reversal.
And it is unique in its use of a safe, non-pharmaceutical dietary and lifestyle program, control group, and the extent of the age reduction.
We are currently enrolling participants for a larger study which we expect will corroborate these findings.”
The diet for long life
Here is a summary of the dietary and lifestyle intervention program (all figures are per week):
- 3 servings of organic liver (3 ounce per serving)
- 5-10 organic eggs
- 2 cups of dark leafy greens, 2 cups of cruciferous vegetables, 3 additional cups colourful vegetables of your choice, and 1-2 medium beet
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 6 ounces organic animal protein
- 2 servings of low glycemic fruit
1+ serving methylation adaptogens from:
- 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 medium cloves garlic, 2 cups green tea (brewed 10 minutes), and 3 cups oolong tea (brewed 10 minutes)
- Use healthy oils such as coconut, olive, flaxseed, and pumpkin seed oil
- Avoid added sugar, candy, dairy, grains, legumes, and beans
- Minimize plastic food containers
- PhytoGanix®, a combination of organic vegetables, fruits, seeds, herbs, plant enzymes, prebiotics and probiotics (2 servings daily)
- UltraFlora® Intensive Care, containing Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (2 capsules daily)
- Minimum of 30 minutes of exercise per day for at least 5 days per week, at an intensity of 60-80 percent of maximum perceived exertion
Sleep Prescription: average a minimum of 7 hours of sleep per night
Stress Management Prescription:
- Breathing exercise: Steps to Elicit the Relaxation Response developed by Herbert Benson MD (twice daily)
Biological aging was assessed by DNA methylation patterns which outlines the loss of function or damage to the human body’s organs, cells, and tissues leading to age-related diseases.
Dr Fitzgerald said:
“What is extremely exciting is that food and lifestyle practices, including specific nutrients and food compounds known to selectively alter DNA methylation, are able to have such an impact on those DNA methylation patterns we know predict aging and age-related disease.
I believe that this, together with new possibilities for us all to measure and track our DNA methylation age, will provide significant new opportunities for both scientists and consumers.”
The study was published in the journal Aging (Fitzgerald et al., 2021).