Time and time again research on gaining or losing romantic partners, passing or failing exams, winning or losing elections has found they have little effect on our long-term happiness. In fact, Gilbert quotes a recent study finding that almost anything that happened more than three months ago has no effect on our current levels of happiness.
Entertainingly, Dan Gilbert proposes the following secrets of happiness:
- Accrue wealth, power and prestige then lose it.
- Spend as much of your life in prison as you possibly can.
- Make someone else really, really rich.
- Never, ever join the Beatles
Find out what he’s on about in this video of a presentation he gave at the Technology, Entertainment and Design (TED) Conference.
» Check out why too much choice is bad for us.
→ PsyBlog’s ebooks are available for instant download for all your devices:
- Escape from low mood or depression with my “Activate ebook“
- Discover how to deal with anxiety in my “Anxiety plan ebook“
- Boost your motivation for anything with my “Spark ebook“
» Discover more insights from positive psychology.