Time and time again research on gaining or losing romantic partners, passing or failing exams, winning or losing elections has found they have little effect on our long-term happiness. In fact, Gilbert quotes a recent study finding that almost anything that happened more than three months ago has no effect on our current levels of happiness.
Entertainingly, Dan Gilbert proposes the following secrets of happiness:
- Accrue wealth, power and prestige then lose it.
- Spend as much of your life in prison as you possibly can.
- Make someone else really, really rich.
- Never, ever join the Beatles
Find out what he’s on about in this video of a presentation he gave at the Technology, Entertainment and Design (TED) Conference.
» Check out why too much choice is bad for us.
» Discover more insights from positive psychology.
- Mediterranean Diet Cuts Heart Disease Risk in Half Thu, Mar 05, 2015
- Lose Weight At Twice The Rate With This Type of Probiotic Wed, Mar 04, 2015